Bad Pool Header
Why do computers make it impossible to actually accomplish any work?
- I can't seem to ever resume from Hibernate without an error occurring. This is a BSOD with
- You can view minidump files using NirSoft BlueScreenView, which can be found under
- Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to retrieve an existing product key.
- My Digital Life forums, if you can stand to navigate through piles of threads. There is good information there, however.
- Sysinternals PsExec seems like another good way to accomplish this. You should really grab the whole Sysinternals Suite.
psexec, I get the following error when connecting to a Windows XP machine: Make sure that the default admin$ share is enabled on titus-73afd7bb4. In this case, use the IP address instead of the machine name.
- Example usage:
psexec \\192.168.1.1 -u Administrator cmd.exe.
- If you are sure you're using the right login and password and still get the error
Login failure: unknown user name or bad password., then make sure you turn off Simple File Sharing in Windows XP, found under
Tools / Folder Options / View / Use simple file sharing (Recommended).
- You can use freeSSHd if you need an SSH server for Windows. It hasn't been updated in a while though.
- TightVNC has a portable edition.
- GnuWin32 provides ports of common UNIX tools like
How do I do the equivalent of "grep"? You can use findstr. For example, to search every file in the current folder and all subfolders for the word "Smith":
FINDSTR /s /i smith *.*
Awesomely, this command can actually cause the command prompt to crash depending on the output returned.
Common operations with Robust File Copy:
/Z, copy files in restartable mode
/FFT, assume FAT File Times (2-second granularity)
/ETA, show estimated time of arrival on files.
/DCOPY:T, copy directory timestamps.
robocopy /Z /FFT src dest
robocopy /MIR /DCOPY:T /ETA src dest
If you copy a root directory, it may be hidden. This attribute will get copied to the destination (use
GetItem C:\ from within PowerShell to verify). You can use
attrib -h -s to correct this.
Using the SC Tool
sc query | find "SERVICE_NAME"
sc create NewService binpath= c:\nt\system32\NewServ.exe type= own start= auto depend= "+TDI Netbios"
A simple thing that is now made impossible is to edit the hosts file. This file is located in
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. You're supposed to be able to use HostsToggle, but of course this doesn't work. Fiddling with UAC (or running as Administrator) appears to correct the issue.
Icons Go Missing
This restores icons by deleting the icon cache. The
/IM flag specifies the image name.
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F CD /D %userprofile%\AppData\Local DEL IconCache.db /A shutdown /R
Motivated by wanting to access remote boxes without using a password. I used to use SSH keys quite often, until my main machine became a Windows box.
puttygento easily generate public and private keys on Windows.
- Copy the public key to
.ssh/authorized_keyson the Linux end.
- Failure to connect using the key is usually a permissions problem. On CentOS,
/etc/ssh/sshd_configmakes it appear that most configuration options are commented out, but a commented out value simply means that it is the default value.
chmod 700 ~/.ssh chmod 600 ~/.ssh/id_rsa
- How can you export a session in PuTTY?
- As a security measure, you'll often get disconnected for idling in PuTTY. Under
Connection, change "Seconds between keepalives (0 to to turn off)" to something like 60.
DOS and Other Legacy
- Debug tutorial. You can use debug to assemble short programs. Netwide Assembler (NASM) appears to be the assembler of choice these days: Why Yet Another Assembler?. Quick access to NASM manual.
- MASM32 SDK.
- Chapter 8 has information on Writing 16-bit Code (DOS, Windows 3/3.1). Also, compiling a COM file with
nasm myprog.asm -fbin -o myprog.com.
- Notes on running DOSBox, and the DOSBox Wiki can be of some use. GOG.com uses DOSBox for some of their games. You can emulate autoexec.bat by editing
dosbox.conf, located under the Start Menu as
DOSBox 0.74 Options.
- Path in DOSBox:
set PATH=%PATH%;C:\DOS;%PATH%/code>. Also add an <code>@ECHO OFFat the top for good measure to suppress output.
- Windows Assembly Programming Tutorial. Uses MASM and the mysterious
- Just Enough Assembly Language To Get By - Part I and Just Enough Assembly Language To Get By - Part II.
- MASM command-line:
\masm32\bin\ml /c /Zd /coff hello.asm
- Due to hard-coded paths, it is sometimes necessary to mount a folder as a drive. You can use the
substcommand to do this.
Legacy DOS Batch Scripting
- If you want to run a program, but end the script use
- If you need the current directory, use
- How does
forwork? It is impressively complicated looking.
Better Command Prompt
- Unlike Linux, the command line is pretty terrible in Windows. Try Console2 for an order of magnitude improvement.
- See my page on Reinstallation.