North Carolina State University
- North Carolina State University is located in Raleigh, NC. From here, there's all sorts of places that you can go.
- VPN. You only need the site for the initial install. After that, you can directly open Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client and use
vpn.ncsu.eduwith your Unity ID and password. There's a later version of the Cisco VPN Client than what NCSU provides called Secure Mobility Client, but you'll have to obtain that elsewhere.
Navigating the library resources can be challenging, although their search has improved considerably lately.
- NCSU Library, and quick access to Computer Science Databases.
- Safari Tech Books Online
- I did a PhD and did NOT go mad.
- Graduate Program PhD
- Colloquia. Attendance form.
- Registration Calendars
- Dissertation-related items.
- University of North Carolina System Salary Database
- MyPack Portal for course registration, payments and so on.
- Department of Computer Science
- Financial Aid
- WolfWare Courses for course home pages. Most courses are still in WolfWare Classic.
- Student Parking Permits. NC State has a modified enforcement schedule when class is not in session.
- Carmichael Gym.
- Payroll for Students.
- Health Insurance FAQ and Pearce & Pearce
- Transportation (Bus Routes), with easy link to bus schedules.
- NCSU AllCampus Card
- NCSU Campus Map
- Insurance is complicated. Your insurance is provided through StudentBlue RA-TA, from BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina.
- If you want to add dependents to your insurance, see rates. Fill out the Dependent Application, but first call (800) 579-8022 for a quote.
- Mail your check to:
Student Blue, PO Box 9565, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-9565, found under Contact Information.
- Current PhD Student Directory, and setting up NCSU student web page.
- EOS Computing Labs
- Print Quota
- NCSU has a time server! See the NC State University Official Time.
Preparing Future Leaders
I have received the following financial aid:
- Graduate Student Support Plan
- Dean’s Fellowship
- Residency for Tuition Purposes. This must be done by the 10th day of class. I'm now a resident! All done.
Downloading behind WRAP
wget -e robots=off --recursive --load-cookies cookies.txt
For Google Chrome, you can obtain this file using the cookie.txt export extension. Firefox has a similar add-on. You can use wget directly to perform the creation of the cookie, but this seems far more complicated and unnecessary.
robots=off option is needed because courses.ncsu.edu by default disallows robots.
Accessing Library Resources Off-Campus
It can be inconvenient to access library databases off-campus. When off-campus, these databases will require you to log in using your Unity ID, but in doing so you may be behind a proxy. This proxy interferes with software like Zotero and Mendeley. Instead, you can use a SOCKS proxy.
- Setup PuTTY to connect to an on-campus server like
remote-linux.eos.ncsu.edu. Create an SSH tunnel with a source port of 80 and a destination having the IP address of the SSH server. Select
Dynamicas the destination type.
- Connect to this server.
- In your browser settings, point the SOCKS proxy to
- Your requests will now appear as if you are on-campus.
Since the Computer Science PhD directory no longer links to the student web sites, I've done so here for various students who I've interacted with at some point or another.